Texas Examinations of Educator Standards
Anyone seeking certification in Texas must take the TExES Examinations of Educator Standards offered by the Texas Education Agency's (TEA) State Board for Educator Certification. Educational Testing Service (ETS) is the testing vendor for the TEA. We provide this web site as a resource to help connect our students with testing information specifically applicable to them.
For any information not discussed here, please contact ETS at 1-800-205-2626 or visit the ETS website.
If you're planning to get certified:
Get started now.
- Start preparing for your content exam as soon as you are fully admitted to the Teacher Education Program. Contact Rose Zuniga to get started.
- Get your certification plan from either your academic advisor (if you're an undergraduate) or from TAMUCC Certification Officer Rose Zuniga (if you're a grad student), and start taking your prerequisites. Use your certification plan to see which exams your area requires.
- You must pass your content area exams before being admitted to student teaching, which is why it is important to start the process as soon as possible.
- Be aware that testing requires several application steps, and missing deadlines will result in additional fees.
- Review the TExES test preparation resources provided by ETS.
- Most TExES tests now cost $134.20 for core subjects tests, plus a convenience fee added by the state.
- The state now has a 5x Limited Rule for all TexES exams. You have five attempts to pass, with generally a 45-day minimum waiting period between each attempt. After your attempts are exhausted, you will not be able to take that test again.
Other things to know:
Corpus Christi has three testing locations:
- Business Communication Solutions, 4646 Corona, Suite 215
- Prometric Testing Center, 5810 South Staples
- TAMUCC Campus, Corpus Christi Hall 210
If you are testing elsewhere, ETS provides a list of testing locations.